Zimmermania

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

BSJ

I used Jaeger Baby Merino 4ply for this jacket and a 3mm circular needle. I had one ball of each colour and just wanted to make another of these special jackets. It's very bold for a newborn size and I almost ran out of the pink before I knew it! It's knitted up into a lovely bouncy fabric, just need a baby girl to go in it now! I think this looks a bit slimmer than other BSJ's that I've seen but I like it...
I used a crochet cast on for the sleeves of this jacket because I feel that the sleeves always look a bit too short. Not knowing how this yarn would knit up and how much extra length in the sleeves to knit, that would look right to me, I thought the crochet cast on would be a better option than knitting the extra length on the sleeves first and then incorporating them into the whole jacket. It worked out really well, I just picked up the stitches, did a decrease row and then knitted a cuff, this gave me the balance that my eye wanted.
I got the inspiration for the picot edging from 'A very Lilly BSJ ' I joined the seams using a 2 stitch icord cast off :^)

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

  • This is lovely. It looks much more 'shapely' than other versions of this I have seen. Did you incorporate decreases to the body to give it that nice swing or did it just come out that way?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:42 AM  

  • it just came out that way, I kept exactly to the pattern except for the crochet cast on for the cuffs of the sleeves to make them a bit longer. I know what you mean though, I think it is the combination of the fine yarn and the needled size, I am a loose knitter and usually use a size smaller than 'normal' tensioned knitters! I use 3mm so I would suggest 2.75mm if you're normal! ;^)

    By Blogger picperfic, at 5:57 AM  

  • Adorable! Love the edging, the colors ... too bad I don't have anyone to make one for.... Unless I can figure out how to enlarge it for a 2 1/2 year old (a cousin's child).

    By Blogger Julie, at 5:58 AM  

  • thanks for the comments....

    Julie, why not make it out of worsted/aran weight on size 4.5 or 5mm needles? Do the crochet cast on for the sleeves then you can alter the length is you need too. I'm sure this would work, it'd be fun trying it anyway!

    By Blogger picperfic, at 6:01 AM  

  • Oh, it's precious! I love it!!

    By Blogger earthchick, at 6:35 AM  

  • That is adorable!

    By Blogger Karen, at 7:49 AM  

  • That's very cute! The crochet cast on was a smart idea. I just started one but planned on picking up stitches to knit a cuff, the crochet would have been tidier. Next time.

    The one I'm making is for a 2 1/2 YO and I'm using 1 strand fingering yarn and 1 strand worsted on Sz 10s. Hopefully it'll turn out the right size!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:17 AM  

  • That is too sweet! Love the bright colors!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:43 AM  

  • Thanks for the suggestion! I went through my book collection and found that Opinionated Knitter has the pattern for the adult surprise jacket, which is written as a formula based on the desired body width and whatever my gauge would be. I figure that should work, scaled down. I just need to find out what an appropriate width would be for this child I've never met! And then find yarn....

    By Blogger Julie, at 5:45 AM  

  • What a SWEET version of the BSJ!!

    I wanted to knit the February sweater for a 6 month baby girl( actually a size 1 is what I prefer)..., If I would use a worsted weight yarn ~ this would probably work for me instead, this jacket being as addicting as it is I just cannot stop making them!

    I loved your idea to use the crochet cast on, as it turned out very nice,, and,,, the picot edging,,,well ~that just put the whole sweater into a very little girl catagory!
    I am now re thinking of the Feb sweater and using a worsted weight yarn and doing it up this way,, in reality she could use 2 sweaters also
    I hope you dont mind that I am using your idea (-:

    This is truly truly cute (!!) and it looks SO very polished!
    I wonder,,,
    Has anyone added a hood to the BSJ??~ That would be very nice for a certain little boy I want to knit for,,,,,)
    Happy Knitting to all the Z-maniac's!

    By Blogger luv2knit, at 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home