Zimmermania

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

mystery blanket

I'd like to interrupt the postings of baby sweaters to show you a Mystery Blanket. This is a (somewhat modified) version of the April project from Knitter's Almanac.



I've been fascinated with this pattern for a long time, and I finally had a chance to make it when I needed to make a baby blanket for my new cousin. For a long time now I've been thinking about the best way to join squares to make a blanket. When I read about this blanket, I knew I needed to try weaving the squares together. There are still some other ideas I have that I will hopefully try out on future projects, but this time I was looking for something that would work the first time. And it did work. I knit the squares out as the directions suggest, but I used different increases (I didn't want holes for the baby's fingers to get caught in), and added stripes to the squares. I also knit the blanket with worsted weight superwash wool instead of the bulky wool used in the pattern and made it smaller. And I used a regular cast-off because I wasn't trying to fool any knitters- this went to a non-knitting family. But otherwise, I followed the pattern.



I'm not thrilled with the way the colors came together- it's a little too much blue for me, even though it is a baby boy. But overall I'm pleased with it and I would certainly knit it again. The joins look neat and professional on both sides, which is more than I can say for any other blankets I have knit from multiple squares. And I think the garter stitch border works really well. And to top it all off, it was a quick knit!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • That looks great! I'm inspired!

    By Blogger KibitzKnitz, at 6:24 AM  

  • I think the colors are delightful and the border looks really good too. Nice job.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:00 PM  

  • darn i cant see the pics!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:53 PM  

  • I can't see pictures either! Can someone fix this?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:05 PM  

  • I'd certainly like to see a photo! Advise, please.

    By Blogger Karen, at 8:51 PM  

  • Umm... I still don't see the pictures either and now I'm even more curious....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:42 AM  

  • I can't see the pictures either! Cheryl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 PM  

  • Arrrgh - I can't see the pictures, but I'm just about to finish off one of these blankets myself and can't wait to see how it turns out. I've really enjoyed making it and am a wee bit worried about the stitching to hold it all together. Anyhow, pictures will follow. Now I'm off to see whether I can find a way of finding your pictures!

    By Blogger Tina - omme i London, at 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home