Zimmermania

Sunday, February 24, 2008

BSJ Question . . .

If I want to make the sleeves longer by doing an invisible cast on, how exactly does that work? I.e., do I use the invisible cast on for only the stitches that will become sleeves, or do I do the entire cast on invisibly? If I do the entire cast on invisibly, how do I deal with the live stitches that are not taken up by the sleeves come finishing time? If I do only the stitches that will be sleeves, how many do I need to cast on invisibly (assuming I add 9 stitches to each end and skip the increase row above the cuff)--45 (36+9) or 44 ( 35+9) or something else? My head is spinning just thinking this through, so I hope I'm being coherent. LOL. Can anyone help?

3 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Liane, at 5:58 PM  

  • I just do a straightforward longtail cast-on and then pick up stitches at the end and add desired sleeve length. You can hardly see it. I find it looks best when you eliminate the cuff increase and cast on 176 (or whatever the number is), instead of 160. This leaves you with a straight sleeve which looks pretty niffty when lengthened.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:06 AM  

  • I have done the sleeves both ways and they both look excellent. The crochet cast on would be just for the sleeve bits, not the whole way round.

    By Blogger picperfic, at 5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home