Chronicles of the Bog !
I think I get a little too over confident with my knitting at times. And then it very rightly teaches me a lesson. Either the yarn or the stitches make sure that they show me my place. After all who am I, just a mortal who decided to go ahead and think of herself as good at this yarny stuff.
The story this time...
I had my eye on the Bog Jacket for quite sometime now. (Big shout out to EZ (Elizabeth Zimmerman)... You definitely rock my knitting world more than anyone or anything else.)
I think the Bog Jacket is just the simplest and most ingenious thing that EZ decided to share with us all. How a simple square of a fabric turns into such a gorgeous jacket is just amazing.
I checked out so many projects that people have made on ravelry (and there are more than 60 baby bogs on ravelry) and they all look gorgeous. So I decided I had to make one. I viewed EZs video and also read the pattern, made notes, made calculations and adjusted it to my yarn and gauge.
But me being my overconfident self, had to go ahead and mess the most simplest of patterns using the world's simplest stitch - the garter stitch. I mean how many more kicks do I need before I settle down and admit that it is never over with the learnings.
First, I went ahead and did the very thing the lady asked us not to do. I did not listen to her and once I was done with the entire knitting I realized I left a join where the armhole was supposed to join. Sigh !
I did not give up though. After all, I had to make the whole thing because I loved it and had worked so hard on getting it right. The new yarn color was luckily joint real close to the arm openings. So I thought, well, I'll just undo the yarn joint, frog back to before the arm openings, redo them the correct way and join back to the new yarn.
I did all of that and then some... Was very happy that I was able to fix everything and went ahead and seamed the arms and just then it struck me... Oh no !!!!! No No No !!!!!! I had to work left and right front separately after the neck opening. How could I be so stupid ! After making a note of it specifically before starting the project.
I totally ruined it. I had knit the front as one piece after the neck. This is what it looks like now. I have finished seaming the arms as I said. (to be continued...)