Baby Surplice Jacket--Done!
I finished my Baby Surplice Jacket today, and I think it turned out great! I knit it out of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Iris Garden on size 8 needles, with a gauge of about 5-1/4 stitches. I left the sleeve stitches on a piece of waste yarn, picked them up and added 20 rows of k2p2 ribbing for an ample cuff, and I love how the cuffs look turned over. I tried it on my 4-month-old daughter, and it is so cute on her. I think it will still fit this fall, since it crosses over quite a bit in the front and garter stitch is sooo stretchy. (This is another reason I added ribbed cuffs--I want it to fit as long as possible!)
I thought about adding applied I-cord to the neckline, but I decided that the variegated yarn would make it look messy so I left it as-is. I think that was the right decision. This was such a fun knit, and the construction is ingenious, as always. I think a February Baby Sweater is coming up next, although with all the great Baby Surprises popping up all over (jackets, not real babies), I might have to do that one. I do love me some garter stitch! More details on my blog.