Zimmermania

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Standing on top of the mountain....

....waving at the people.

SSAC

SSAC

SSAC

SSAC

SSAC

Saddle-Shoulder Aran Cardigan

  • Source: Spun Out #49, $3, Schoolhouse Press. Originally published 2000 as Wool Gathering #63
  • Size: 50" Chest (about 6" positive ease)
  • Yarn: Cascade Eco Wool (Used 3 skeins, 1434 yds total)
  • Color: Brown #8087
  • Needles: Size 8 for all the garter edges and buttonband/collar; Size 9 for the rest
  • Gauge: 4.5 sts and 6 rows per inch on size 8 needles in stockinette
  • Cost: 3 skeins of Eco Wool at $12 each = $36
    6 buttons (from Vardhman, Inc. on 39th Street and 8th Avenue in NYC) at $2.15 each = $12.90 TOTAL COST: $48.90
  • Started: October 11, 2008
  • Finished: November 9, 2008
  • Mods: Well, this pattern is one big mod. You can read my three previous posts, if you haven't done so already. The instructions are more like a recipe, as are most of Elizabeth Zimmerman's patterns. The eco wool makes this sweater more like a jacket and I've been wearing it as such for the past week. The times that it was a bit windier, I threw a denim jacket over it. I made it with 6" of positive ease (it stretches a lot!) so that I could possibly wear a sweater under it if I don't want to wear a coat on any given day. In my excitement of finishing it last Sunday, I wore it to work on Monday with safety-pin stitch markers where the buttons needed to be sewn in. I went at lunch and bought the buttons and sewed them at work! HA! I'm going to give the sweater a REALLY good blocking but I hope it doesn't grow too much!! Because, no, I haven't blocked it. I've been wearing it EVERY DAY! ;-) The steeking, of course, made me super nervous. But it's like anything else in knitting that you have to learn: afraid to jump in but then you do and you feel accomplished! Although, I do admit that each time I wear it, I look at the inside to make sure it’s not falling apart somewhere! HA! It’s not, though. I actually think the cut edges are felting themselves to the inside!!! All in all, a tremendously satisfying knit.
Cross-posted from my blog.

25 Comments:

  • Pretty! And the buttons are fab.

    By Blogger Lauren, at 12:59 PM  

  • Wow - your sweater is amazing. I like Ecowool - I know eco wool refers to ecologicall, but also economical. What a great price for such a beautiful sweater. The color is beautiful and it fits you beautifully. Very nice work.

    By Blogger me..., at 1:04 PM  

  • Simply gorgeous work!

    By Blogger knitting harvest, at 4:57 AM  

  • Go visit Soapy Knitter's blog, and see the laughing baby u-tube clip she's got posted there; funniest, happiest thing in the world.

    Happy as this beautiful sweater. EZ surely smiles from heaven today.

    By Blogger Rebecca Z., at 6:57 AM  

  • That is freakin' gorgeous!!!!! Well done.

    By Blogger Mary, at 7:45 AM  

  • What a beautiful sweater! And the buttons are just gorgeous, great compliment to a great knit.
    Congratulations.
    Sheri in GA

    By Blogger Sheri, at 11:58 AM  

  • It can go anywhere - work or play - brava! Beautiful job!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:40 PM  

  • What a great sweater! What a great job! I (heart) those buttons.

    By Blogger DrLeonesse, at 8:21 PM  

  • You look absolutely great in that cardi. No wonder you haven't taken it off.

    By Blogger Kucki68, at 11:16 PM  

  • What an accomplishment. Nice color, nice pattern, so becoming. Congrats!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:21 AM  

  • It is so beautiful! I didn't know you could make this sweater so economically.

    By Blogger mikeslittlesis, at 8:23 AM  

  • It's GORGEOUS! It looks so heavenly warm to wear. Sigh. Congrats!

    By Blogger Rani, at 9:28 AM  

  • Your sweater is gorgeous, and it looks lovely on you--what a tribute to EZ's brilliance and your own creativity. Thanks for such a detailed posting. I am inspired to try this myself--will check out your blog. Again, thanks for sharing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:03 PM  

  • wow, it looks amazing on you. beautiful colour, texture and fit! And it sounds like it has become a favourite piece already...

    By Blogger meyer, at 11:35 PM  

  • It looks fantastic. I saw the video of you steeking it via a Ravelry link recently and so I am so glad to see it finished here. Beautiful work!

    By Blogger Kate, at 3:04 AM  

  • This is so beautiful! Great job!

    By Blogger Eliza, at 8:28 AM  

  • Wow! What a gorgeous sweater. It is simply beautiful.

    By Blogger Portlandia, at 10:05 AM  

  • Gorgeous!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:08 PM  

  • Perfect fit, perfect color, perfect price! Inspiring!!

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 4:32 PM  

  • Good for you - this is wonderful! Looks like it will last a lifetime and never go out of style.

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 5:47 PM  

  • That is a really great sweater. Great job. Joal

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:43 PM  

  • I absolutely love it. I just read your 3 previous posts. Wonderful job. I want to attempt a sweater using steeks but am anxious that I will make a mistake. Eventually...I will attempt a steek when the time is right. For now - I'll appreciate your fabulous job. Wonderful work!

    By Blogger Suzie, at 7:30 AM  

  • I LOVE IT! I knit with the Eco wool too. I use the natural for dye projects. Yes it will stretch, but has a good memory when you wash and block it back to size. I knew right away with out reading that it wasn't blocked yet. Hey I'd be wearing it too! Just lovely! Excellent Job!

    By Blogger mohairmama, at 12:21 PM  

  • VERY BEAUTIFUL!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:03 AM  

  • Gorgeous - very nice work

    By Blogger Elysbeth, at 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home