Zimmermania

Sunday, June 08, 2008

the fishtrap cardigan







here is my version of the fishtrap cardigan from knitter's almanac. it was the first book of elizabeth's i purchased and i have been in love with this cardi for a long time. i love the fishtrap pattern which is an original aran pattern that elizabeth baptised fishtrap.


stats:


8 skeins of canadian regal from schoolhouse press in the colour forest brown

addi circs in size 4 and 4 ½ mm.

knitting time a little less than a month.


i have steeked the sweater and made a rounded neckline as described in meg's pattern for the saddle shoulder aran. and i have made a welt that separates from the rest of the cardi by purling one row on the right side. the rib pattern for the welt is from alice starmore's fishermen's sweater. this is a feature that is very common in original arans and i am happy with the result.


it was great fun to knit this pattern and i soon got to know the pattern by heart allowing me to take the sweater with me everywhere i went. i am an avid knitter in public.

10 Comments:

  • Beautiful sweater! I might add your model is very handsome in it.
    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:49 PM  

  • Woman, you are a knitting fiend! Beautiful work, as always, and I agree that your model looks smashing in the sweater.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:51 AM  

  • Yes, yes, yes; let me add my testatment to the magnificence of both the sweater and the man it is on...each potentiates the beauty of the other!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:39 AM  

  • What a beautiful sweater!

    By Blogger Kimberly, at 8:52 AM  

  • Beautiful sweater. You did a great job.

    By Blogger knitnut, at 1:45 PM  

  • This is gorgeous! I've wanted to knit this. Will have to pull out the needles now, and give it a try!

    Ang

    By Blogger Angela, at 7:22 AM  

  • Wonderful! I'm madly jealous that you work fast enough to have completed this inside a month, though. I hope the gentleman loves it!

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 10:34 AM  

  • Beautiful sweater! I've just bought Knitters Almanac and it's nice to see one from that book 'come to life'.

    By Blogger Cybèle, at 4:21 AM  

  • Really beautiful - I'd like to make on of these myself. The color is great, background is great, and handsome model.

    By Blogger me..., at 2:23 PM  

  • It really is beautiful! The fishtrap aran (pullover version) is also on my to-do list.

    By Blogger -maria-, at 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home