Zimmermania

Friday, July 13, 2007

Seamless Raglan and EPS

This is EZ's basic raglan recipe, sized for a 5 year-old. I made very few modifications, but tried to add lots of kid-friendly features like the shortened sleeves, pockets, zipper, and hood. The front and hood were both steeked so the whole thing was knitted entirely in the round. If you want to see more I put up lots of pictures, and explanations, on Flickr.

This was the first time I've knitted a hood and it really got me thinking about how to apply EPS to hoods. This is what I've come up with and I'd appreciate any input other have.

The Tomten. This is the only EZ design I know of that incorporates a hood. For the tomten hood she instructs you take 1/14 of your 100% and do that many increase pairs. That means you are adding 1/7 of your 100%, which is about 14.3%.

With the tomten the neck has 50% of the body sts, and you add 14% for a total of about 64% for the hood. This fits a child really well. However, Tomtens knitted for adults have been known to end up with giant hoods or need serious modification.

EPS for the neck opening is 50% for a child -as in the Tomten- and 40% for an adult. Should we then infer that a child's hood should be knit on 64% and an adult's on 54% ???

What do you think?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • The hoodie you made is really qute! I still haven't made any EZ-garnment myself, but definitely will!

    By Blogger Elena, at 1:55 AM  

  • wow i am impressed by the hoodie math. knitting math is the only math i like. and i love the sweater it will be very much used i am sure. beautiful and maybe something i should make for a couple of nephews i have.

    By Blogger knititch, at 2:38 AM  

  • I like the color combo on the raglan. Your math certainly makes sense on paper. Since I have trouble visualizing patterns, I would like to try those numbers to see if they would work. Oh no, have I just made a commitment to knit two hoodies?

    By Blogger MoMo, at 6:50 AM  

  • You should defenitely check out Brooklyntweed's current blog post (7/11/07)
    http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/
    He has finished an adult EZ Tomten and posted details about his modifications including neckline and hood changes to better fit an adult.

    By Blogger knitbysue, at 10:02 AM  

  • Love the colors ans especially the way you knit the front border for the zipper. Very smart! I've made tomtens years ago, back when my children were small though haven't tried an adult tomten. The math sounds good though (as if I am some expert!)

    By Blogger Paula, at 7:07 PM  

  • Thank You all! I've had some discussion with BrooklynTweed concerning his hood numbers and they fit within the range of my guesses, so perhaps the math is sound!

    By Blogger Peggy, at 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home