An Opinionated FBJ :-)
I set out to make a sedate, delicate, grandmotherly February Baby Jacket for a granddaughter who’s due in mid-July. Because of wool allergies, I chose a mercerized cotton yarn, and the variegated pastels looked yummy to me at the time.
I soon realized that the lack of “spring” in the yarn made the garter stitch yoke thicker and stiffer than I liked, so I ripped it out and started over, this time using garter stitch only for the first few rows.
Next, I had to figure out how to increase while knitting down. I posted on Zimmermania about it and got very helpful replies, but I had to rip out again to start that part over.
The further along I knit, the more I realized this wasn’t going to be a “gentle” sweater! I think it’s the orange that’s in the color mix that gives it a 60’s, almost tie-dye, look. Not exactly compatible with a lacy FBJ, but I plunged ahead anyway.
I braved my way through the gull pattern and discovered it wasn’t easy to keep track of where I was. Again, many ripping outs. (Rippings out?) About the time I got it downpat, it was time to cast off.
I sewed it up (that part went easily), and then tossed it in the washer and dryer. To my relief, the laundering helped the yarn fluff up and fill out, as it had become rather stringy in the process of being knit.
My daughter (the mother-to-be) really liked the colors and the “retro” look, but I still was dubious.
I hoped to salvage a bit of demureness by getting some gentle buttons. But what kept calling to me were these pink plastic flower-child buttons with orange centers! So I gave in and got them.
I had nearly a skein of yarn left, so I “unvented” a little cap to go with the jacket and used a matching button to decorate it.
When it was all finished, I actually liked it, so I’m glad I let the sweater have its way.
(And now I’m knitting another one, this time in a nice muted medium blue, which I hope will look grandmotherly!) (And I’m using markers to keep the pattern repeats straight.)