Zimmermania

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Possibly silly question about baby sweater yoke

I'm beginning the baby sweater from the Almanac, and I am stuck at the 8th row of the yoke because I don't quite understand the instructions. She says to knit 4 garter ridges, or 8 rows, and then do an increase row, and then knit 4 more garter ridges. But I'm confused because with the increase (9th row) there are an odd number of rows, so the next row would make the 5th garter ridge, and then if I were to do seven more rows I would have only half a garter ridge (I think). Does this make any sense? I'm sorry if this is a silly question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jess
littlemamaknits

6 Comments:

  • I would increase either in the first set of next garter ridges, or in the last row of the 8 rows.

    By Blogger Susan, at 7:09 AM  

  • The way I do it is:

    Knit 4 ridges. +Do the increase row, then go on to complete 4 more ridges+ (total 8 ridges).

    Repeat from + to + (total 12 ridges and 102 sts).

    Work another increase row, omitting 1 inc (148 sts) and complete return row (total 13 ridges in yoke).

    Hope that works for you.

    By Blogger Moorecat, at 4:58 AM  

  • Thanks Moorecat! I will try it and let you know how it works out.

    By Blogger ourlittlebambino, at 5:37 AM  

  • Just FYI, someone wisely suggested after my first one to leave the sleeve stitches live on a holder, finish the body, and then go back and knit the sleeve in the round down to the cuff (instead of knitting the sleeves flat, then the body, then seaming up the sleeves). Less seaming that way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:46 PM  

  • Hi Jen

    Thanks for the tip.

    So if you knit the sleeves in the round last, how do you do the 28 cast on stitches? Do you add them to the body and then pick them up when you do the sleeves?

    Jess

    By Blogger ourlittlebambino, at 11:34 AM  

  • This was suggested to me after I'd finished mine, so haven't tried it that way myself yet. Those 7 CO sts at each sleeve edge do pose a problem. I'll have to try knitting it myself to see how it might work; right now, I can only foresee that the sleeves would create an open gap where those 14 CO sts begin at the underarm. Tricky! Maybe best to blindly follow, at least as blindly as EZ allows.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home