Zimmermania

Saturday, December 02, 2006

The Coffee Shot



I've finished Mr. Frick's seamless hybrid. Here's the obligatory coffee shot. Bonus points to those who can guess which president's face is on the mug... I'm going to post about it on the blog tonight, but first came here so I could talk particulars with other Zimmermaniacs!

The yarn is Cascade 220, and I love it. It's already won my heart by being so hard-wearing and easy to work with. You can't beat the yardage, price, or color selection, either. The reddish brown is from The Heathers and it's #9408. I used under six skeins- turns out I didn't need to panic, after all. The hem, cuffs, and bit about the neckline are #9450- a beautiful heathery grey-blue. I knit it up on size 8 needles, and if I had to do it again, I'd use 7's, because I think the fabric could use a bit more thickness. I did have problems with EZ's math at one point, but I just soldiered on and everything turned out grand.

The arms are a bit long. I considered snipping and grafting, but after tonight, when Mr. Frick wore this to a friend's holiday potluck and I noticed that all the guys had the "melty" sleeve look going, I decided to let myself off the hook.

One thing I wish I'd done more of is picking up extra stitches in the holes created here and there and knitting them together with others to close up those holes. Case in point: the tiny one there you see at the collar. After this photo was taken, I went back and fixed that from behind. There were a few more where I changed from saddling the shoulders to saddling the back (which makes a really cool square shape of the back neck), but I did away with those pretty easily.

Overall, I'm thrilled! Next up will be Baby Surprise.

10 Comments:

  • I love it! Great job.

    By Anonymous Allisone, at 5:10 PM  

  • Nice sweater! And on the mug? Harry S Truman, of course.

    By Blogger KarenK, at 8:34 PM  

  • It looks great!

    By Blogger nat, at 5:42 AM  

  • ROCK ON! Excellent work Julie! I knew the math would work out for you in the end...

    By Blogger Betsey, at 6:52 AM  

  • So nice! I just ordered some Cascade 220 in a heathered maroon for my hubby's sweater. Thanks for the tips on needle size and picking up stitches!

    By Anonymous tiennie, at 7:18 AM  

  • That is a wonderful sweater! Lucky Mr. Frick!

    By Blogger Glaistig, at 1:49 PM  

  • Really nice sweater!!

    By Blogger Elena, at 3:21 PM  

  • Beautiful, fantastic job. YOu give me courage to give it a try. I am a little nervous about the math but I can always get help here, right? Thanks for sharing.

    By Blogger knitnut, at 6:28 AM  

  • I love the color - it's beautiful! Lydia

    By Blogger Windansea, at 10:42 AM  

  • Lovely sweater. What a lucky man Mr. Frick is. And so nicce that he already wore it to a party.

    (I would have said Truman as well.)

    By Blogger Kodachrome Knits, at 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home