Zimmermania

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Almost Norwegian Mittens

Ta Daaa:

Norwegian Mitten

I honestly have started this post about 4 times not really knowing how to begin! I Love my Mitten LOVE IT. It is SO Beautiful. I am so happy with the fair isle. SO surprised at how quickly I picked it up and how my stitches actually look decent. But here is the sad part people, I think I'm going to have to scrap it (well I won't rip it out but keep it in a sacred place where it will be looked at and thought of fondly.) For two reasons:

  • I didn't really gauge properly. (and by "properly" I really mean AT ALL) It was much too tight and my row gauge (although there isn't one) was much too short. I used a 4ply and realize a good DK would have been perfect. At first, I thought about giving this away to someone with smaller hands than I but then reason #2 happened.

  • The Thumb! I totally screwed that up too! It's much to high up on the mitten PLUS it's small and feels weird to wear. Much like Jessica said, it's position is awkward. SO, again next mitten is going to be knit with the thumb out the side as my wonderful Ann Budd Pattern book tells me to do! (much like these beauties from Brooklyntweed)

Norwegian Mitten

It is beautiful to look at and I will be casting on immediately for version 2.0, but it's bitter sweet. This mitt wants to be Worn! Not stuck on a wall somewhere or in a drawer. Perhaps when I am willing I will (gasp) rip her out and start her anew. Until then, I begin again...

Norwegian Mitten

All in the learning process, right? We knit the good, we knit the bad, we knit them all and there we have the Facts of Knit! (pure cheese. i know.)

Cross posted here

7 Comments:

  • Oh, so sad! But the mitten really is gorgeous--congrats on your lovely fair isle. And your next will be even better.

    By Blogger Jessica, at 10:35 AM  

  • It might make a very lovely glasses case? Line it with something friendly to lenses and surgically remove the thumb.

    By Blogger 2monkeys_mom, at 10:48 AM  

  • Goooood idea on the glass case!! Thank you, I will definitely try that. Ahh the spirits were lifted :-)

    By Blogger tentenknits, at 11:42 AM  

  • ha ha! that is the second "facts of life" joke i've heard this week! very funny :)

    and take it from me, the more you frog these the better they get. that's the beauty of a small fair isle project!

    By Blogger Jessica / Fig & Plum, at 7:41 PM  

  • Norwegian knitting, like much of their culture is very practical. If my memory serves (not much chance of that) the reason the thumbs are in that position is to better grasp the ski pole; however, it has been more than 40 years, so it could have been lost in the mists of time

    By Anonymous Melissa R, at 8:32 AM  

  • It's too pretty to frog! I do like the suggestion as a glasses case.

    By Anonymous tiennie, at 8:40 AM  

  • Don't fret. Knitting them again, properly, will go much faster than you think and you'll be prancing around in 'em in no time!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home