Zimmermania

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Be Totally Honest with Me...



I'm within button-buying distance of finishing my Forecast and am so excited to cast on for Mr. Frick's seamless hybrid. Here's the yarn. It's Cascade 220 Heathers in 9408 and 9450. The main color is the reddish brown, and the silvery blue is for the hem facings and possibly a little tipping around the hems as well. Here's my problem, though.

I bought this yarn for the Cambridge Jacket from the Summer 2006 Interweave, which is more fitted, so I only have 6 hanks of the red/brown. Mr. Frick is about a 39-40 " chest, and I figure we'll need some 4 inches of ease. I've checked every source I can find and it seems I'm balancing on the edge of not having enough yarn. Do I go down to a 43" circumference? Will that fix it? Or will that make it too fitted? Anyone? Just dying to cast on here.

4 Comments:

  • I've only added 2" of ease for my DH's SH, I think going with a 43" should be fine.

    By Blogger fibersnob, at 12:36 PM  

  • Those two sweaters look like they'd use a similar amount of yarn, and I think 43" will be fine, but I'd pick up an extra ball for insurance if you can still find one in the same dyelot. Six skeins doesn't sound like much for a man's garment.

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 8:58 AM  

  • Are you open to using the blue for more than tipping and hems? A few stripes would stretch the main color...

    By Blogger ScotSkipper, at 2:01 PM  

  • 1320 yards is usually enough for a sweater for me. I have a 38.75" inch chest and usually knit worsted sweaters with 3-3.5" inches of ease. You'll be cutting it close for sure, but my gut says you'll have enough for a 43" chest.

    If you dont want a heart attack, maybe grab another skein for peace of mind? Even in a different dye lot. I mean... I'd feel better. I'm sure you would too. ;)

    By Blogger brooklyn tweed, at 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home