Zimmermania

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Adopting the EZ Way

It is so easy to get caught up in the details of knitting, the various accessories, the trendy patterns, the expensive, hand-painted yarns. But reading anything by Elizabeth Zimmerman will remind a knitter that, "One is in this knitting pastime for pleasure, not for toil, anxiety, and doubt..." and that sometimes simplicity is the order of the day. While reading Knitting Without Tears, I came across several affirmations that I intend to keep in the forefront of my mind while knitting.

"I am truly boss of my knitting."

This is indeed an extremely important affirmation. Sometimes between the cabling, increasing, decreasing, measuring, and seaming, we sometimes let our projects rule us. Elizabeth encourages us not to let our knitting get the better of us, but rather enjoy it for the hobby that it is. Similarly, I am the boss of what patterns I knit. So what if the Clapotis is yesterday's news? I'm making one and no one's gonna tell me otherwise!

Cimg2250

"Really, all you need to become a good knitter are wool, needles, hands, and slightly below-average intelligence. Of course superior intelligence, such as yours and mine, is an advantage."

Again, simplicity is best. I have adopted that immediately into my knitting-style and have eschewed stitch markers for my Clapotis.

Cimg2252

"Your sweater should be like your own favorite original recipe--like nobody else's on earth."

In addition to incorporating the EZ Way into all my knitting, I am making a sweater from one of her "recipes," The Seamless Hybrid. I am knitting the facings of the body and sleeve hems in a contrasting oatmeal-y color of Cascade 220.

Cimg2249

I cast on for the sweater today, even though I haven't completely worked out how I want the top. No matter, Elizabeth says...

"...One of the obliging characteristics of these sweaters is that you can start them long before you have decided how you are going to end them..."

Cimg2253

The Zimmerman Way and all it espouses (simplicity, inventiveness, and confidence in one's own ability) should indeed be a Way of Life.

3 Comments:

  • Ecologically as well as intellectually sound, that's 'our' Elizabeth Zimmermann.

    By Blogger Nancy J, at 1:17 PM  

  • I loved your post!. I have not joined the KAL just because I rarely knit patterns! But do knit the EZ way long before I knew about her and her lovely work.

    By Blogger Laritza, at 2:48 PM  

  • The more I learn about Elizabeth Zimmerman, the more I love her philosophy.

    Looks like you'll have a great seamless hybrid. Ever since I saw Brooklyn Tweed's, I've fallen in love with contrasting hem facings!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home